Wednesday, 19 September 2007

The weather forecasters lied!

The rain I mentioned yesterday, and the dream of mushroom hunting has gone. Today the weather forecast had predicted rain and cooler temperatures. Well how wrong could they have been! Our hour of soft, almost invisable rain yesterday did not bring mushrooms to the mountains, but brought an incredibly hot and humid heat to town. Oh well...I would probably have picked the poisenous mushrooms anyway.



Onto more pleasing conversations I finished reading this book last night. 'The Calabrian Tales' By Peter Chiarella is a interesting read and the author has written about his ancestors and their somewhat torrid pasts in Calabria. I rather enjoyed this book although I must admit to skimming over some sections that I found a little tedious. (I will be truthful that I find a lot of books tedious and it is not unusal for me to not finish books - this one however I finished so there was only a little bit of skimming involved.

Which gets me thinking that I should write a book list of books I have read and loved. If anyone has any suggestions about good books then let me know. My lovely twin sister has sent me an amazon gift certificate so I can buy something. Recomendations on books about people in italy or life in italy are normally what I read (sad really but I am a little addicted to these books and they occupy most of my bookshelf.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the rain comes soon for your mushrooms... just think soon it will be cold and you will be complaining about that! Although I am not sure how cold it gets in Taromina. I'll keep an eye out for any books you might like to read and will email you soon!
Love Twin

Domina said...

Hey Leanne!

I was gonna suggest "When in Rome" and the sequel "See Naples & Die" by Australian author Penelope Green but I have a strong suspicion you have already read them! ^_-

On another vein, other books I have recently read that I enjoyed heaps are "Almost French" by Sarah Turnbull and "Around the World in 80 Dates" by Jennifer Cox (non-Aussie). And of course, ""Rule Number 5: No Sex on the Bus" by Brian Thacker is a cracker (also a tour leader once!)! These aren't books about Italy (though Brian Thacker does have some funny anecdotes about Italy sprinkled here in there in his writing) but they are also travel books and I think you will enjoy them heaps.

Hope these suggestions help. :)

From a fellow Aussie Italophile,

Liz

Leanne said...

Hello Gemella,
You are right, I will be complaining soon of the cold, I am sure...but it feels as though it is so far away. And I do not want it to turn cold, I just want to stop sweating like a pig every second of everyday!

Ciao Domina,
You are right, I own a copy of 'When in Rome' and I have spied her new novel and am going to perhaps ask some lovely family member to buy it for a b'day-xmas gift and post it over.
I have jotted down your other suggestions, as I do need to expand my reading to other countries too. I enjoy travel writing, and will be looking on Amazon soon at your selection.

Nice to hear you are a fellow Aussie to. If you check back here, do you live in AUS or Italy?

Leanne said...

Opps, sorry - thanks Liz not Domina for the above.

Anonymous said...

I spotted these books in the book shop and they are all about people living in Italy. Maybe google them and see if you can read the blurb or something
* The Scent Trail - Celia Lyttelton
* A Castle in Tuscany - Sarah Berendt
*City of Fallen Angels - John Berendt
* A day in Tuscany - Dario Castagno & Robert Rodi
* Books by Marlena De Blasi as she seems to have a lot about her Italian adventures.

That's all - if you like the sound of any let me know and I'll speak to the fam about your b-day and Christmas pressies!

Love Twin

Anonymous said...

I spotted these books in the book shop and they are all about people living in Italy. Maybe google them and see if you can read the blurb or something
* The Scent Trail - Celia Lyttelton
* A Castle in Tuscany - Sarah Berendt
*City of Fallen Angels - John Berendt
* A day in Tuscany - Dario Castagno & Robert Rodi
* Books by Marlena De Blasi as she seems to have a lot about her Italian adventures.

That's all - if you like the sound of any let me know and I'll speak to the fam about your b-day and Christmas pressies!

Love Twin