Saturday 27 September 2008

Stupid tourist comment of the day

I got a phone call last night from a rather distraught couple who were shocked to see their double bed was actually two twin beds pushed together.

I explained to them, and I will explain to you all reading this as perhaps it is not widely known that normally in Italy the hotels use two twin beds to make up a double. We clearly state this in our brochure (which they obviously did not take the time to read) and it is particularly popular in the older, lower star hotels...but still this method can be found in 5 star hotels too.

When you come to think of it, the idea is a practical one. If the whole hotel is full of twin beds then they can make up twin or double rooms as and when they are requested. If you want a double bed wait two minutes and they can make it up for you. If you wanted twin beds wait another two minutes and they can be pushed apart. It is quite common in Italian houses too. The double beds will often be two beds simply pushed together.

To make the customers feel better I told them that in my home I have two twin beds pushed together (which is not true but it did make them feel better.) Once this bed issue was sorted I was asked a rather bizarre question which I felt had to be included in my Stupid tourist comment of the Day.

Man: Can I ask you what you people do?

Leanne: Sorry? What do you mean.

Well you know, what do you Romans do?

(I am not Roman but there was no need to point this out so I assumed the role.) What do you mean what do we do? In the evening you want to know what we do?

No. No. Have you heard the saying 'When in Rome do as the Romans do.'

Yes

What does it mean? What do you do that is so special?

I honestly thought he was joking, but upon realising he was being very honest, and he sounded quite embarrassed for asking this, I thought I would be nice and explain. Well, it means that when you are here in Rome, or anywhere in the world you have to act like the locals. You've seen us driving. If you hire a car here in Italy you have to drive a little crazy and fast like us. If you want to cross the road, you just have to cross the road and not wait for the cars to stop like the tourists do as that way you will never get across to the other side.

Bless this poor man, he started to laugh and finally understood. Oh! I get it now, so I can drink lots of good wine since you all drink good wine?

Spot on sir, spot on.

7 comments:

Jewel said...

Oh that's too cute. You must have a lot of restraint, I would've been laughing.

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Jewel,
Luckily it was over the phone! If it was face to face I am sure I would have given the game away. I cannot hide my thoughts and feelings very well...my facial expressions say it all.

Gil said...

Sounds like you had dubya for a client!!!

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Gil,
Not sure what dubya means...but if it means a little silly then he was just that!

nikinpos said...

I think he's been to visit here! COuld have been that man that stopped me as he walked UPHILL and asked if it was the right way to the beach.

Gil said...

Dubya is one of George Bush's nicknames.

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Charlie,
Sounds like he was definately in your neck of the woods!

Hi Gil,
Thanks for that explination! Being Australian and living in Italy I must admit I have never heard this more...but then again I am not so into American politics.