Wednesday 26 November 2008

Chestnuts over an open fire

You may recall that a few weeks ago, whilst I was stuck in the smoggy capital of Italy, bel ragazzo was having a jolly time collecting chestnuts in the Malito mountainside. I may not have gotten the chance to collect them, but at least now I have a chance to eat all of his hand picked chestnuts! Due to the lack of rain this year the chestnuts are smaller then most years but they are still just as tasty.

Most night the family roasts the chestnuts over the open fire. Open fire places...this is one thing I love about winter! I have never had an open fire place in any of the places I have lived so now I can take advantage of it here in Malito. When you go outside in the winter months, the village air is heavily scented with burning wood and smoke gently bellows from most of the chimneys.

Here are some photos of the chestnuts roasting by the open fireplace.





9 comments:

Monika said...

Hi Leanne :)
Great pics!
I tasted chestnuts for the very first time two weeks ago in verona. I'm still undecided whether I like them or not.

Jul said...

Yum! I love chestnut season.

Bitter Chocolate said...

Ooh, that looks SO great!

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, lovely. I love the visuals of the chestnuts roasting in the REAL fire, but even more, your description of walking through the village and smelling all the fires. Sounds wonderful, and glad you're getting this break with bel ragazzo and his family! (and sharing with us despite internet difficulties)

Gil said...

They look so good! I think I'll have to find some in a store by me.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics...they look good and love the fact you roast them on a open fire...we're having some Italian chestnuts today for Thanksgiving (they're not Calabrese or cooked over an open flame but from Avellino and cooked in the oven...hey close enough!)...can't wait! :)
Glad Calabria is treating you well!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm mmmmmmm... yum! Roast chestnuts over an open fire? Divine! You lucky girl! We had chestnuts 2 nights ago in the pan.. but still yummm if not quite the charcoaly goodness yours would have been ;)

Carolina said...

Ahhhh...le castagne! I can almost smell them and hear them popping! Are they from up in the Manghe? You continue to take me back in time....
After I showed your blog to my husband, Mario (ex-Malitano), he recognized "bel ragazzo" and gli manda tanti saluti!

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Monika,
I was a bit undecided with the chestnuts too at first. Now I like them, but I do not love them!

Hi Jul,
The Chesnut season is a good time...it is fun to roast them on an open fire, or to walk around and have people selling them freshly roasted in the streets.

Hi Bitter Choc,
They were pretty good chestnuts...hand picked after all!

Hi Kim B,
The village here really does smell divine as you walk around in the evening times.

Hi Gil,
Good luck with finding some chesnuts in a store near by.

Hi Carla,
Well at least you got to eat some chestnuts for thanksgiving even if you had to use the oven :)

Hi Carmen,
Nothing really does beat an open fire!

Hi L'americana,
So your husband is Malitano! Such a small world. Thanks for stopping by the blog. I wonder have you been here in Malito?