Thursday 10 September 2009

Overnight in Umbria







Bel ragazzo (bless him) tries to arrange all his hotel visits around my days off, so I can go to. On Sunday last week we left Sorrento behind and headed up north, past Rome to the rolling hills of Umbria. We had both visited Umbria before - never together mind you, this is going back to the days when we had not yet even met - and funnily enough the only places we had visited in Umbria were Perugia and Assisi.

On Sunday we drove up to a beautiful, gorgeous, I want it to be my house, villa come hotel. And we got to sleep there the night. For free!

The villa was in a small area about 20 minutes drive away from Perugia, called Colle San Paolo. We were put into a room which was practically bigger then our apartment here in Sorrento and a thousand times more lovely. I do not want to bore you all with the joys of this hotel room, but it is exactly how I want our house to be one day! I am smiling now just thinking about it (sad, yes I know but look at the view from the bedroom window.)



For dinner we decided to drive into Perugia and visit a friend. I was so happy to return to Perugia. I first stayed there about 4 or 5 years ago when I was on a 6 week holiday in Italy. I was alone, and remember staying in a very simple pensione, having lunch in a restaurant but not been able to work up the courage to eat dinner alone, and that I wished I could have been there with someone as I wanted to go out for a drink and did not fancy the thought of going to a bar alone. So you can imagine how happy I was to return to Perugia, not only with my bel ragazzo but also visiting a friend who lives there!




Perugia has always been a well known town, especially with foreigners as it is home to a university which is often the first point of call for those wanting to master the Italian language. It is easy enough to get to and if you have not already been then I would make sure you add it to your list!







4 comments:

Rosa said...

You have so many perks with your job. Do you mind passing it on to me when you leave?

Laura said...

Lovely Leanne! Perugia has now been added to my list. :-)

Peter @ italyMONDO! said...

Perugia has been on my list for a while now... I need to get a little farther up than Rome sometime!

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Scintilla,
HA! The job is yours as I don't want it anymore!

Hi Laura,
Yes, make sure you add Umbria to the list...such a lovely area.

Hi peter,
You too - make sure you get there at some stage.