Tuesday, 6 November 2007

Driving around...Portugese style.

Another week in my tempory home of Portugal and all is going well. And I have a car - and am driving! This may not sound so exciting to most of you 'what's the big deal' you are thinking. Well- for me the big deal is that I have never really driven on the 'other' side of the road before. In Australia we drive like they do in the UK - left hand drive and on the left hand side. Here it's all different (dare I say backwards?)

I was so scared to pick up the car as although I have lived in Italy for almost 2 years, I have never really driven. The first time I properly drove was a few weeks before leaving Italy when I went to visit the bel ragazzo. He took me out in his families ancient Fiat Panda, and let me drive around the deserted mountain roads for a while. I was so scared and drove so slowly and my left hand kept reaching for the gears when in fact I was touching to door!

A few weeks later I am happy to report that not only can I drive, but I am a now a fantastic driver. In Portugal that is. I will tell you a little secret: The roads here are wide, spacious, new, well signposted and there are hardly any other drivers. It is better here to take the autostrada because there is next to no traffic on it... So I am reserving my self proclaimed title of 'fantastic' until I drive back in Italy. Gosh, the thought of driving in Italy makes me nervous just writing the words...I'll stick to my nice, safe and easy Portugese roads for the time being.

3 comments:

Roam2Rome said...

Uh, brave girl! You know, here we have pretty crazy roads and freeways, but I think Italy tops it! Ahm, I wont even try to drive there for a long, long while :)

Leanne said...

Tell me about it - I think I will stick to driving in small villages where it is safer for all!

Leanne said...

Tell me about it - I think I will stick to driving in small villages where it is safer for all!