Tuesday 4 November 2008

Finally it's over.


Tomorrow is my last offical day of work here in Rome! So now I will be a lady of leisure for while until bel ragazzo and I head down to Calabria.

I have been complaining a bit this year about being 'over' Rome when in reality it was mostly due to the fact that I was having issues with my lazy colleague, and that if circumstances were different I would have liked to remain in Sicily ...but that aside I actually do love Rome.

I will miss Rome. Don't get me wrong - I won't be crying all day and night, but there are some things I will miss. I will miss living so close to one of the biggest airports, which made it so easy for us to pop over to Venice for a mini break. I will miss having such a great selection of shops and international restaurants on my door step, but what I am looking forward to the most is that I will have time to miss Rome.

At the moment I see the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, and all the sites of Rome every day. They are no longer exciting. It's like when you live in London and you don't really care that Big Ben is in front of you, in Paris I am sure the locals rush past the Eiffel Tour without a second glance...and Rome is a little like that for me at the moment. I want to see these sites and remember how excited I was the first time I saw them and the only way to get this enjoyment factor back is to leave Rome behind and come back not as a resident, but as a tourist. At least after working here for so long I will not have to ask any stupid questions!

4 comments:

red said...

enjoy your last days. baci

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Thanks Red! I will.

Bitter Chocolate said...

You're probably right, what makes places special is the scarcity of time you can spend there...who knows, maybe you'll find out you really miss living there so much you can't imagine living anywhere else, though you're probably not that kind of person - I'm getting the impression you're more like me in this; I'd love to live in a new and exciting place which hasn't gotten ordinary for me yet, and I tend to fall in love with places easily, always considering one The Special one, but actually not having that many problems with determining a new special place... Anyway, enjoy the time off, you deserve it :)

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi BC,

It sounds like we are a little alike as I fall in love with so many towns that I want to live in them all! Still waiting for that special one though...well have found a few special ones but there is just not enough work to let one survive there the whole year.