Tuesday 14 December 2010

12 days of Christmas - Malito style

Last Tuesday it was 24 degrees...today it is snowing in Malito. There was even a little snow in Cosenza which is most odd.

Christmas time is full of superstition and tradition, especially here in the south of Italy. I used to think that 'the 12 days of Christmas' was just a song, but bel fidanzato told me that people here say the 12 days of Christmas are a forecast of the weather for the following year. The 13th of December (yesterday) is representative of January, today - February, tomorrow March and so forth. Today snow came to Calabria and driving home at 4.30pm it was already -1 degree, so according to superstition February will be a cold month with a little bit of snow. Apparently last year the 24th of December was quite warm and sunny here in Calabria and that goes to prove this superstition true, since last week we had 4 days or so of unusual, warm, sunny weather.

I am not sure if this weather prediction tradition comes from Malito, Calabria or other parts of Italy. I couldn't find any information on the internet about this, and I have never heard of it before so perhaps it is just a tradition of these parts? If you have heard of this before then please let me know. Here's to hoping that tomorrow or should I say March, brings us better weather.

4 comments:

Heddi Goodrich said...

Hi Leanne, I've just come by your blog by chance - I'm enjoying reading about your life adventure. I like your humor and your very different angle on Italy which is very different from that of many other expats who seem to live merely on the outskirts of real Italian life.

I'm an immigrant too - an American who lived for 10 years in Napoli before moving to Auckland, NZ. Like you, my 2-year-old is a funny cultural equation: half American, half Irish and 100% Italian (well, he speaks almost soley in Italian!). Good luck with the birth and Buon Natale!

heddi.

deb at nonna's house said...

Hi Leanne, I knew someone who's family was from Calabria who would count down the 12 days of Christmas in the same way you've described. She claimed it was accurate!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I've never hear of that here so I'm guessing it's something from the South of Italy. It will be interesting to see if it's true!

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Heddi,
Thanks for stopping by, and glad you like the blog :)

Hi deb,
It must be then something just from these parts.

Hi Sarah Elizabeth,
Yes, seems to be just from here.